You asked for a math assessment and intervention program that works like Istation Reading . . . and Istation is delivering!
Currently in development at Istation is a fully integrated math assessment and intervention program for grades pre-K through 8. Istation's ISIP Math will work much like our popular reading program and will include:
- Benchmark computer-adaptive assessments
- Skill-based diagnostic tests
- Fully scripted, teacher-directed lessons
- Reliable reporting
- A fully integrated and interactive computer-based math intervention program
Look for components in the months ahead!
- Available Now: Release of computer-adaptive tests for grades 4 through 6
- Coming Soon: Testing and release of computer-adaptive tests for grades 3, 7, and 8
Istation's ISIP Math Assessment
ISIP Math provides teachers with a Web-delivered, computer-adaptive assessment that is administered three to four times per year. ISIP Math for 4th, 5th, and 6th grades are available now, including teacher-directed lessons.
As a universal screener, ISIP Math measures each student’s overall mathematical ability using the focal points and standards of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) and other state-specific standards. ISIP Math also supports the RTI three-tier model of instruction and identification of student needs. Thanks to ISIP™, Istation's Indicators of Progress, this computer-adaptive assessment dynamically adjusts to every child's individual ability in all of the skill areas — from struggling to advanced — based on each successive response.
What Makes Istation's ISIP Math Unique?
While many of today's available assessments focus on limited aspects of mathematical procedural fluency, ISIP Math assesses four of the critical learning math strands*, including conceptual understanding and adaptive reasoning.
- Conceptual Understanding — comprehension of mathematical concepts, operations, and relations. For example, what does it mean to multiply or divide? How does that impact value?
- Procedural Fluency — skill in carrying out procedures flexibly, accurately, efficiently, and appropriately. For example, how do I add or subtract numbers? What's the process for multiplying two-digit numbers?
- Strategic Competence — ability to formulate, represent, and solve mathematical problems. For example, in which instance of a problem should I use multiplication? In which instance division or subtraction? What are the efficient strategies for executing multiplication?
- Adaptive Reasoning — capacity for logical thought, reflection, explanation, and justification. For example, how do I verify my answers? How do I justify my choice of strategy?
Istation's ISIP Math assessment is unique in its inclusion of these critical strands and its ability to measure student capabilities. Plus, each assessment is populated with grade-level and age-appropriate contexts, ensuring that students see the problems as relevant and interesting.
ISIP Math is automatically administered three times during the school year — the beginning of the year, midyear, and year-end. A fourth assessment is available for teachers on demand. The assessment instantly evaluates students' overall mathematical abilities in about 30 minutes and quickly identifies students who are on level and those who are not. Comprehensive, customizable reports are immediately available. Fully scripted, skill-based, teacher-directed lessons provide teachers with tools to address the most common math misconceptions and student errors.
It Addresses the Fundamentals
ISIP Math evaluates each student's overall mathematical capabilities in a wide range of fundamental mathematical skills, including:
- Multiplication and division of whole numbers
- Addition and subtraction of multi-digit numbers, decimals, and fractions
- Area and properties of two-dimensional shapes
- Volume, surface area, and properties of three-dimensional shapes
- Frequency tables, bar graphs, picture graphs, line plots, and stem-and-leaf plots
- Geometry and measurement
- Using multiplication to solve if-then word problems
It's Accurate — and Complete
ISIP automatic scoring takes the risk of human error out of the assessment equation and immediately identifies the individual learning needs for each student. This not only enhances individual student learning but also streamlines the grouping of students in need of additional small-group or one-on-one instruction. With Istation, teachers also have access to hundreds of resources, including fully scripted lessons that address particular skill problems, complete bibliographies for each lesson, a teacher's manual, a user's guide, and technical support.
No other system provides all this!
Istation's teacher-directed interventions for math were developed using research-based practices outlined in the Institute of Education Sciences Practice Guide, Assisting Students Struggling with Mathematics: Response to Intervention (RTI) for Elementary and Middle Schools. Like all ISIP assessments, the ISIP Math assessment (and Istation's three tiers of math instruction) aligns with RTI risk level categories.
* National Research Council. Adding It Up: Helping Children Learn Mathematics. Edited by Jeremy Kilpatrick, Jane Swafford, and Bradford Findell. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2001.