Istation is an educational software developer and publisher of Internet-based, interactive elementary reading instruction and intervention programs, as well as formative assessments. If you are passionate, even fanatical, about the power of digital content that can help improve the learning in children’s lives, Istation is currently looking for a self-motivated, energetic, and quality-focused individual to fill the position of Content and Copy Editor.
If you have superb writing and copyediting skills, relish the challenge of fast-paced production, have educational knowledge (grades pre-K through 8), and you thrive on taking a hands-on approach with initiative, we are looking for you to join our team.
You would be partnering with other departments to assist in editing all areas of our teacher-directed lessons, curriculum content, and other related copy, which in most cases will be converted to an online format. Careful attention to detail will be required. You should be fluent in English, have prior proofreading or copyediting experience, and preferably have a background in teaching. A strong ability to estimate task time and an ability to set and successfully meet deadlines are also required.
- Proofread and copyedit lesson content and dialogue written for a wide variety of readers so it is clear and crisp.
- Proofread and copyedit content for other integrated departments, marketing, and customer touch points.
- Effectively document and communicate all errors and changes to appropriate team members.
- Some writing (and rewriting) is required to ensure copy is free of grammatical and spelling errors so it conforms to in-house style guides and rules.
- Perform well within rapid, interactive design and product-development processes.
- Evaluate material from an instructional perspective and collaborate with other in-house resources to suggest edits to adapt activities to an online setting, while ensuring that the content remains engaging.
- Support user testing, which may include usability studies and survey.
- Create InDesign versions of text lessons to be converted to PDF.
- Strong fluency in English (written, spoken, comprehension)
- Strong understanding of the English language and expert knowledge of grammar to ensure proper text and language usage and stylistic integrity of all copy
- Excellent copyediting, fact-checking, and proofreading skills
- Ability to multi-task with an attention to detail and a strong ability to catch typos
- Strong ability to identify and correct grammatical errors
- Superb organization and time management skills, comfortable meeting aggressive deadlines
- Comfortable working independently and collaboratively within a team
- Curiosity/interest in educational topics essential
- Ability to quickly learn and master new guidelines and software
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style and AP Style
- Working experience copyediting documents or other content
- Proficient in Adobe InDesign
- Experience and fluency with MS Word and Excel
- Background in teaching and 2-3 years in teaching or instructional design
All interested candidates should be able to work in the United States. Istation is able to sponsor employment, at this time. Principals only. No third parties.