Istation is committed to protecting Your privacy and that of students while providing You with the most useful and enjoyable experience possible. We strongly believe in protecting the privacy of any personally identifiable information provided to us. We also believe it is important to inform You about how we will use personal data.
For purposes of this Privacy Statement, references to “You” or “Your” mean (i) you in your individual capacity, (ii) your company (“Your Company”), which may be a school or school district, and (iii) authorized users of Your Company, who are students, employees, representatives, and agents of Your Company that are registered with Istation and that have a valid security identification and password to access and use the Resources (collectively the “Authorized Users”).
If You have any questions about this Privacy Statement or any privacy questions or concerns, You may contact Istation using the information below (the “Contact Information”):
Write to us at:
The Imagination Station, Inc. DBA Istation
8150 North Central Expressway, Suite 2000
Dallas, TX 75206
Istation will only collect, store, and use Your personal information for defined purposes, such as to provide access to, and use of, the Resources and to provide customer service and support. Istation will not sell Your personal information to any unaffiliated third party, except pursuant to a sale of all or substantially all of Istation’s assets or pursuant to any business combination (such as a merger) to which Istation is a party. At any time You may contact Istation with any privacy questions or concerns that You may have using the Contact Information above.
What information is Collected?
Istation collects information about You in two ways: (i) when You voluntarily give or submit the information to Istation and (ii) when You access and/or use the Resources. All information that Istation collects about You is defined as “Collected Information.” Examples of Collected Information include, but are not limited to:
- Personal information, such as school names and school district names, first and last names, and identification numbers issued by schools and school districts (including teacher numbers, administrator numbers, and student numbers);
- Contact information, such as email addresses, mailing addresses, and phone numbers;
- Responses, such as responses to interactive activities and assessments and other Resource-related responses;
- Security information, such as usernames, passwords, and password hints;
- Resource-use behavior, such as pages visited, downloads, or searches requested;
- Browser information, such as browser version, IP address, and presence of various plug-ins and tools; and
- "Demographic Data," such as gender, race, special-education status, socio-economic status, and English language learner status.
All Collected Information falls into one of two categories: (i) "Personally Identifiable Information" or (ii) "Unlimited-Use Information."
Personally Identifiable Information:
Personally Identifiable Information consists of the following information (and does not extend to any other Collected Information):
- School names and school district names;
- First and last names;
- Identification numbers issued by schools and school districts (including teacher numbers, administrator numbers, and student numbers);
- Email addresses and mailing addresses;
- Phone numbers;
- Resource use results but only to the extent such results identify one or more (i) students, (ii) teachers, (iii) classrooms within an identified school, (iii) grades within an identified school, (iv) schools within an identified school district, (v) schools, or (vi) school districts (collectively “Identifiable Use Results”). For example, Identifiable Use Results include the following:
- Resource use result for all students in Teacher “X”’s class;
- Resource use results for all third graders attending School “Y”; and
- Resource use results for all grade schools within School District “Z.”
Note, however, that Identifiable Use Results do not include the following, among other things:
- Resource use results for geographic regions that do not identify a specific school or school district (such as Resource use results reported (i) on a county-wide basis, (ii) within a defined territory (whether officially or unofficially defined), like North Texas or the state of Texas, or (iii) within a metropolitan area, like Dallas-Fort Worth).
Unlimited-Use Information is all Collected Information other than Personally Identifiable Information. For clarity, all Resource use results that are not Identifiable Use Results are considered Unlimited-Use Information.
How is Collected Information Used and Disclosed?
Personally Identifiable Information:
Istation is permitted to use and disclose Personally Identifiable Information as follows:
- Istation is permitted to use Personally Identifiable Information in furtherance of the Resources, including (i) to communicate announcements about the Resources and to provide information about the Resources, such as usage of the Resources, (ii) to capture and analyze Demographic Data regarding the Resources, and (iii) to track students’ usage of the Resources over time, such as performance metrics collected over multiple school years.
- Istation is permitted to use Personally Identifiable Information for Istation’s internal purposes.
- Istation is permitted to use Personally Identifiable Information to send You updates, promotional/advertising materials, and newsletters relating to the Resources and Istation’s products and services or to otherwise target specific services or offers to You. If You want to stop receiving promotional/advertising materials from Istation, then You have the option to unsubscribe.
- Istation is permitted to use Personally Identifiable Information to respond to Your questions or comments.
- Istation is permitted to use Personally Identifiable Information to customize content within the Resources, to make the Resources better, to improve the Resources’ functionality, and to develop new products and updates.
- Istation may use Personally Identifiable Information in combination with Unlimited-Use Information.
- Istation is permitted to use and/or disclose Personally Identifiable Information when Istation has Your consent.
- Istation is permitted to disclose Personally Identifiable Information to Istation's employees.
- Istation is permitted to disclose Personally Identifiable Information to third parties, including contractors, vendors, and service providers, that assist with the Resources.
- Istation is permitted to disclose Personally Identifiable Information to Authorized Users as determined by the school at issue or the school district at issue. Generally, but subject to determination by the school at issue or the school district at issue, (i) a teacher may only see Personally Identifiable Information of students in the teacher’s classroom, (ii) a principal may only see Personally Identifiable Information of those students and teachers in the principal’s school, and (iii) a school district level administrator may only see Personally Identifiable Information of those students and teachers in the administrator’s school district.
- Istation is permitted to disclose Identifiable Use Results to third parties when Istation has the consent of the school at issue or the school district at issue so long as the Identifiable Use Results do not identify any student.
- For clarity, no consent of a student or a parent or guardian of a student is required for Istation to disclose Identifiable Use Results to third parties that do not identify any student. Any disclosure of Identifiable Use Results to third parties that identify any student require the consent of both (i) the school at issue or the school district at issue and (ii) each student at issue or a parent or guardian of each student at issue.
- Istation is permitted to disclose Personally Identifiable Information if Istation believes that sharing Personally Identifiable Information is reasonably necessary in order to (i) protect or defend the legal rights, interests, property, safety, or security of Istation, anyone else, or the public, (ii) protect or defend against, or otherwise address, fraud, security, or technical issues, (iii) risk management purposes, (iv) comply with, or respond to, a law, regulation, legal request, legal process, legal requirement, judicial proceeding, or court order, or (v) investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft.
- Istation is permitted to disclose Personally Identifiable Information in connection with the (actual or potential) sale, purchase, acquisition, merger, reorganization, bankruptcy, liquidation, dissolution, or similar transaction or proceeding of or involving Istation.
- Istation is permitted to de-identify Personally Identifiable Information for any and all purposes.
Except as described in, or permitted by, this Privacy Statement, Istation will obtain Your permission before Istation discloses Personally Identifiable Information to third parties.
Istation is permitted to use and disclose, without restriction or limitation, all Unlimited-Use Information (including Personally Identifiable Information that has been de-identified and Demographic Data) in Istation’s sole discretion. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing sentence, Istation reserves the right to use, distribute, edit, display, archive, publish, sublicense, perform, reproduce, make available, transmit, broadcast, sell, repurpose, translate, aggregate, and create derivative works of the Unlimited-Use Information for any and all purposes. For example, Istation may use and disclose Unlimited-Use Information (i) to monitor, maintain, and improve the functionality of the Resources, (ii) to make the Resources more responsive to the needs of the visitors and users of the Resources, (iii) to improve Your experience within the Resources and with respect to the Resources, (iv) for historical, statistical, scientific, demographic, geographic, and other purposes, and (v) for responding to surveys or seeking responses to surveys.
Can I Access or Change My Personally Identifiable Information?
Each school and/or school district is permitted by functionality made available by the Resources to determine what Personally Identifiable Information (if any) is accessible by Authorized Users and to which Authorized Users in particular. In certain circumstances, a school and/or school district may be entitled to permit one or more Authorized Users to change Personally Identifiable Information. You should check with your school and/or school district to determine Your rights (if any) to access and change Personally Identifiable Information.
Istation recognizes Istation’s responsibility to protect the information You entrust to Istation. Istation uses a variety of secure techniques to protect Your information, including secure servers, firewalls, and encryption technologies. The information You send Istation via the Website may be encrypted, a process used to scramble information making it extremely difficult to read if wrongly intercepted. Istation utilizes industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to allow for the encryption of Personally Identifiable Information.
Istation has taken steps to ensure that Personally Identifiable Information is secure, including limiting access to Istation’s database servers as well as password protections that guard against unauthorized access. Student usage information and passwords are encrypted and stored on each local computer. All Personally Identifiable Information sent to Istation is encrypted during transmission, such as during login. Once the data reaches Istation’s server, Personally Identifiable Information are stored on a secure database. Access to Personally Identifiable Information is password protected.
Use of "Cookies"
The Website may contain links to or reference third party websites and resources (collectively “Third Party Sites”). These Third Party Sites are not controlled by Istation and, therefore, are not subject to this Privacy Statement. You should check the privacy policies of these individual Third Party Sites to see how Your personally identifiable information will be utilized by the operators of those Third Party Sites before providing any personally identifiable information. Please be aware that these Third Party Sites may collect personally identifiable information about You that may also send “cookies.” Istation is not responsible for the content or practices of any linked Third Party Sites, and Istation provides these links solely for the convenience and information of Istation’s visitors.
Can Istation change this Privacy Statement?
Istation may change this Privacy Statement at any time without notice. However, if the Privacy Statement changes, Istation will post an updated version on the Website. The revision date will be posted at the bottom of the page.
Effective Date: July 11, 2013